Last weekend Thomas and I went over to our friends, Cassie and Matt’s apartment. Cassie and I decided that we really wanted a day of baking some healthy treats. She told me about this recipe for Paleo Chocolate Chips Cookies. Our first batch didn’t come out that great, the oil made the dough too soft. But the second batch was out of this world. Cassie’s oven cooks everything really fast so they were a little crispy on the outside, but the instead was to die for!
That day we also cooked homemade paleo twix bars, and death by chocolate paleo brownies. We were on a roll. Out of the three treats we made these Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies were my absolute favorite.
None of these recipes were time consuming at all which was important because we had two very impatient men waiting to try everything. The cookies took a total of 30 minutes to make!
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 1 cup of blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons of coconut oil at room temperature (don’t melt it if you don’t have too, just make sure it’s soft). If you melt it the cookies will become too greasy and fall apart.
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons of natural almond butter (room temperature) Keep in mind that both the almond butter and coconut oil will make these super oily if they are too soft!
- 1 large egg, room temperature (or a chai egg for vegan)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Then set the mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the coconut oil and sugar (if you have a mixer use that).
- Beat in the almond butter and vanilla extract on medium speed. Once they are combined add in the egg on low and mix. Stir in the flour mixture slowly until it is well combined. Next throw in your cup of chocolate chips. Lastly add in the coconut sugar and let sit in the fridge for a 10 minutes or until the dough is firm. (our second batch was pretty firm so we didn’t have to wait very long)
- Roll the dough into 8 balls. Use the rest of the chocolate chips to top off the cookies. You may also choose to roll the dough into 16 smaller cookies, which is what we did. Just depends on how big you want them. Be sure to press the cookies down lightly before placing them in the oven.
- Bake them for about 11-14 minutes. Ours took all of 7 minutes because this oven was extremely hot. You want the outside to be nice and golden brown.
- Let them cool for a bit before eating them! Store in a container to keep them nice and moist.
I highly recommend trying these Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are the perfect treat to snack on during the week. Thomas and I have loved having them in the apartment. It’s just really great to know that the food I’m eating is healthy, and yet super frickin’ delicious.