Italians love there pasta, that’s just a fact. Being that I’m Italian, every now and then I crave pasta. Thomas and I were both in the mood for some healthy comfort food so I looked into a couple of different recipes.
The shrimp and spinach pasta dish popped out at me. It looked easy to make and it was packed with protein. So we decided to give it a try.
Healthy Comfort Food:
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped and drained from oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces of fresh baby spinach (about half the bag)
- 1 and 1/3 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- mushrooms (optional)
- Bacon (optional)
- Crisp up the bacon if you choose to use it (but let’s be honest why wouldn’t you). Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes into a large skillet. Cook the shrimp on medium high heat for 3 minutes or until pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, drained mostly of oil. Be sure to add 1 more tablespoon of the sun-dried tomato oil and the minced garlic. Mix together and cook for another minute. Remove the shrimp.
- In the same skillet as the sun-dried tomatoes add in the almond milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, paprika, and then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add your mozzarella cheese. Stir to melt, on simmer. Add in chopped fresh basil and mix. Next add in the fresh spinach. Cover with a lid and remove from the heat. The spinach will wilt while you cook your pasta of choice (we used a whole wheat penne).
- Once the pasta is finished add it into the shrimp & spinach skillet. Stir around to coat the pasta and add more salt if needed.
**Note: we kept the bacon in the skillet the entire time.
Still hungry? Check out some more delicious recipes here.