These teriyaki turkey burgers are perfect for the summer season. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them year round. They are definitely more convenient to make it during grilling season, but they are always possible.
They will blow your mind. Now, these burgers are a little more time consuming, but that’s because you make the teriyaki sauce from scratch. It’s worth the time, trust me. The pineapple gives the burger a hint of sweetness and the avocado spread adds a creamy texture.
Teriyaki Turkey Burgers
(you can absolutely use a prepared teriyaki sauce if you’d like)
- 1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce (or amino acids)
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced/grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of sriracha
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch (optional)
Teriyaki Turkey Burger
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 2 tablespoons of your homemade teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 buns of your choice (we used sandwich thins)
- 4 fresh rings of pineapple
- 1 red onion cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup of non-fat greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients except for the cornstarch.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the cornstarch if you choose to use it. This will help to make the sauce thicker.
- Remove from the heat and place in the fridge in an airtight container until needed.
- In a large bowl mix together the ground turkey, onion, teriyaki sauce, ginger, salt and pepper with your hands. Don’t overwork the meat.
- Form the mixture into 4 patties and set them aside.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat and oil the grates.
- Brush the pineapple rings and your onions with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Put them on the prepared grill and grill the pineapple for about 3 minutes per side. The onions will take a little bit longer. They should cook for about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Place the turkey burgers on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Toast the buns if you choose to use one.
- Add all your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth (you can also do it by hand, it just won’t be as smooth)
- Cover and place in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
Assemble that burger and you’re good to go! This is probably one of my favorite ways to prepare a turkey burger now. I promise you won’t regret it.