Growing up I had an obsession with lemon poppy seed muffins. Not sure why, but out of all the muffins I could choose from I was always drawn to them. Lemon poppy seed or blueberry were my top choices. When I found a recipe for paleo lemon poppy seed muffins I was super excited, especially because I had almost all of the ingredients. These came out so frickin’ good and I’m so excited to share them with you guys. I also found a recipe for a lemon glaze to top them with, which was perfect.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 lemons (juiced, about 1/2 cup)
- zest, 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line your muffin tin or grease it. I greased mine with coconut oil rather than lining them.
- In a large bowl combine all of your dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt.)
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients (apple sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest, eggs, honey, and vanilla extract)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until everything is combined.
- Fold in your poppy seeds.
- Add batter to the muffin tin and place them in the oven for 23-25 minutes. (Watch them carefully, and check after 15 minutes)
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Paleo Friendly Lemon Frosting
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, softened
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- zest of half a lemon
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.
If you like lemon poppy seed muffins you will love these!