These sweet potato burgers are absolutely unreal, but the star of this dish is definitely the roasted garlic spread. How Sweet Eats is an recipe queen! I found this recipe through instagram and I’m so excited about it.
I’ve never roasted garlic before, but it might just be the best thing I’ve ever done. The burgers are perfect if you’re looking for a meatless option during the week.
Sweet Potato Burgers
Sweet Potato Burgers
- 2 cups of coarsely mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cannellini beans (rinsed & drained)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pierce potatoes with a fork! I only ended up using one extremely large sweet potato (just need to be 2 full cups). Place it in the microwave for 5 minutes, flip it then do it for another 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash the beans. Add in the sweet potato and combine together. Next add in your spices, salt, pepper, minced garlic, egg, panko and flour. Mix it all together and form patties. Wet your hands before forming the patties. The mixture is a little sticky so this will help make it as clean as possible. Should form 4-6 patties depending on how thick you want them.
- Place the patties in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to let them firm up a bit. It will be easier to cook them (not as messy).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Remove your patties from the fridge. Cook until golden brown on one side. This will take about 5-6 minutes on each side.
Roasted Garlic Spread
- 2 bulbs of garlic
- 2/3 greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup/honey
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degree F.
- Cut off the top half of the bulbs. Peel back park of the “skin” don’t remove it all.
- Place the bulbs in an oven safe pan. Pour a teaspoon of olive oil on each bulb.
- Bake them for 45 minutes. (I checked them at 20 minutes and then did another 20)
- Be sure to let them cool a bit before preparing the sauce. They should be so roasted that you can squeeze the carmelized cloves right out.
- Put the 2 bulbs, the yogurt, honey, salt & pepper into a food processor. That’s all!
Assemble your burger on a wheat bun, a sandwich thin, lettuce, whatever you want! Pair it with some avocado because it’s amazing.